State withdraws disobedience charges against Besigye

besigyeThe State has withdrawn charges of disobeying lawful orders against former Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) presidential candidate Dr. Kizza Besigye.
 
Principal State Attorney Joseph Kyomuhendo told court on Friday that he had instructions from the Director of Public Prosecution Michael Chibita to withdraw the case.
 
He also submitted to court a letter from the DPP backing up his application. Besigye shook his head in disbelief.
 
Besigye’s lawyers Ernest Kalibbala and Fredrick Mpanga told court that they were shocked by the development. They argued that the case had been meant to persecute Besigye.
 
Prosecution had alleged that Besigye and others still at large on April 5, 2016, disobeyed lawful orders given to them by the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Samuel Bamuzibire to use Yusuf Lule Road instead of going through the city Centre.
 
Besigye was going to his party headquarters at Najjanankumbi, along Entebbe Road for prayers organized by his party. The prayers were part of the defiance campaign activities, protesting results of the February 18, 2016 presidential elections.
 
This was the fourth time Besigye was contesting against incumbent Yoweri Museveni for the presidency.  Museveni won the election by 60% .

What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

three × three =

#SSWC – Short Story Writing Competition – Third Edition

FDC’s Kantinti kicked out of Parliament